Saturday, May 28, 2005

If you're going to discipline, at least know who you're disciplining

So I'm at work today and big, big boss walks in (let's just call him John). Now John typically comes in our "division" of the Science Center maybe once every four months or so, typically because we're the "less important, more slacking" presenters of the CSC. Though, recent statistics have shown that because of SportsWorks, the CSC makes over double its revenue of 3 years ago. Anyway, we were sure lucky to have him come in today!

It's about 1:00 and I'm sitting at one of the simulators. John comes up behind me, kinda does the "hard tap, something's urgent, I really need something badly" tap on my shoulder so I turn around. It's him, and I'm rather, erm shocked... instantly thinking to myself if I was doing anything wrong, etc. Before I could say hi, he shouts "The parachutes are stuck on the rafters. Get them down." (The parachute drop is an exhibit where the visitor can make a parachute, lift it all the way up to the ceiling and have it drop down to see how well it works.) Now I'm on a simulator, and we're not allowed to get up and leave for ANY reason, let alone while the simulator is in motion. So I say, "I'm sorry sir, but I'm unable to go get them down while the simulator's moving. If you want I can call the supervisor for you." He stops me kinda half way through and goes (in an extremely aggressive tone), "You didn't listen to me. I want you to get them down." Once again I go, "I'm really sorry sir. If I were to get up and leave and something would go wrong with the simulator, visitors could be seriously hurt. If you want--," and he begins storming away to where the back offices are.

By this time, I'm feeling that "Oh shit, I'm so screwed" kind of feeling as I just told off the BIG boss. And wouldn't you know it, I get called in the back not 15 minutes later to "have a meeting with he and my supervisor." He didn't say a word, but my supervisor handed me a slip of paper. On it: Disciplinary Action Report. Reason: Insubordination. Without saying a word, I sign it, John takes it, gets up and leaves. By this time I'm like ready to burst into tears, heh, Nicole says "don't worry about it. I know what you did was right and really this won't go any further." Now I feel inclined to believe her, but you don't get how much power this guy has. With a snap of his fingers, he could have SportsWorks torn down. So what's to stop him from putting that write-up in my permanent record? NOTHING! All because I chose not to endanger paying customers instead of complying with his wishes.

I kinda felt better when this other dude later told me as I was getting ready to leave that a bunch of people got written up for really stupid things. Like things that no one, let alone the person who got written up, has control over: The carpet is ugly, the skylights are too foggy, the roof is leaky, a wheel is loose on a wheelchair. There were even rumors circulating that my supervisor got MAJOR disciplinary action against her because of some of this stupid shit.

So yeah, big boss walks in, doesn't know anyone's name, doesn't look around and see thousands of kids / parents having a blast, doesn't see the presenter's being GREAT presenters. All he sees are tiny, miniscule negative things and unleashes hell upon us.

Welcome to the politics that is Carnegie Science Center.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home